African same-sex sexualities and gender-diversity: an introduction
If you would like to obtain a copy of this Research Output, please contact Hanlie Baudin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Good quality social science and humanities research about same-sex sexuality in Africa is rare. This does not imply that same-sex sexuality is not practised in Africa. The question could be raised whether there is something specific about African same-sex sexualities that warrants special attention. The authors would argue that same-sex sexual expression in Africa has many aspects and facets in common with such expression in other parts of the world. African same-sex sexualities are likely to include a wide range of nuanced expressions.
Related Research Outputs:
- Book review: Reddy, V., Sandfort, T., Rispel, L. (eds). 2009. From social silence to social science: same-sex sexuality, HIV & AIDS and gender in South Africa: conference proceedings. Cape Town: HSRC Press. 252 pp. ISBN: 978-0-7969-2276-2
- "Gays have money": the gendered nature and meanings of transactional sex among black men who have sex with men in South Africa
- Notes on becoming "moffie" within a macho culture in Cape Town, South Africa
- Constructs of identity and HIV risk behaviours among men who have sex with men (MSM) in two South African cities
- (B)order(s) Aids review 2011
- After-nine, 429, he-she, stabane, and gay, bisexual and other 'men sleeping with men': diversity in black South African MSM identities and implications for HIV prevention
- Rewriting the narrative of the epidemiology of HIV in sub-Saharan Africa
- Is HIV fraying the edges of gender and sexuality?: some ideas towards new ways of thinking 'on writing AIDS Review 2011'
- Layered stigma and HIV/AIDS: experiences of men who have sex with men (MSM) in South Africa
- Familiar claims: representations of same-gendered families in South African mainstream news media
- The meanings of sex: men who sex with men (MSM)
- Gender role attitudes and sexual risk
- Marriage, citizenship and contested meanings
- Stigma and discrimination experiences of HIV-positive men who have sex with men in Cape Town, South Africa
- International research project on pedagogies of gender & sexuality in higher education: South Africa
- 'There's got to be a man in there': reading intersections between gender, race and sexuality in South African magazines
- HIV testing and self-reported HIV status in South African men who have sex with men: results from a community-based survey
- Taking research and prevention forward
- Methodological and ethical challenges in conducting behavioural and HIV surveillance among men who have sex with men (MSM) in South Africa
- Researching MSM in South Africa: some preliminary notes from the frontlines of a hidden epidemic